Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:33:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        roop.nanuwa@gmail.com (Roop Nanuwa)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How Critical Is It To Use an ISP Running FreeBSD or BSD/OS?

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:09:13 -0400, Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I remember reading in The Complete FreeBSD, by Greg Lehey, that you'll
> > be better off with an ISP that runs FreeBSD or BSD/OS.  Can anyone
> > provide a scenario(s) where this would be most apparent?
>
> I don't know Greg's reasoning for that statement but it does seem
> rather wrong to me. Would you judge a waitress on their choice of
> shoes? Of course not, you'd
> judge them based on their service. Would you decide on who to hire to build you
> a fence based on what kind of screwdriver they use?
>
> Why would you choose an ISP based on what tool they use to provide you with a
> service?

Well, first it reflects on their judgement.  If they run on FreeBSD, I
give them credit for better jedgement.   Secondly, if you have problems
or questions, you are more likely to get an intelligent answer if they
run one of the BSDs.  If they run MS, they are more likely to just say
they don't support anything different when you ask.

////jerry

> See how their service has been in the past and if their service meets
> your needs, that's all there really is to it.

Service with what?   MS only or including other systems?

////jerry