Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, up@3.am
Subject:   Re: changing server platforms

>Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:20:46 -0400 (EDT)
>From: <up@3.am>

>I'm getting ready to change our main server (mail, user web, ftd,
>secondary   radius, etc) from Sparc Solaris 2.6 to FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE
>soon.  My main concern is going to be getting > 1100 usernames and
>passwords moved over.

>I can see that just moving /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow over isn't going to
>work.  In fact, I can see that FBSD doesn't even have an /etc/shadow, but
>what I assume contains that data, /etc/pwd.db, which appears to be some
>sort of hashed file.

It's hashed, but FreeBSD & Solaris 2.x handle the storage of the
encrypted passwords rather differently.

In Solaris 2.x, there is little else useful in /etc/shadow than the
encrypted passwords.  (There's stuff about expiration dates & things of
that nature.)  But about the only thing that common between /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow is the login, which is used as the key for each.

In FreeBSD, the text file that contains the encrypted passwords is
/etc/master.passwd.  /etc/passwd and /etc/pwd.db are generated from it;
the former is extracted as a (proper) subset of the information in
master.passwd.

>So far, I can think of a few ways to do this, none of them ideal:

>1: gather all the usernames and passwords from a customer database and
>write a script to add them all in.  Problem with this is that database
>isn't 100% up-to-date with the passwords.

Big problem I would have with that is that if it were feasible, that
would imply that you had plain-text passwords around.

>2: run a crack program (any recommendations?) on a copy of the Solaris
>/etc/shadow file, then trim out the username/passwd pairs for same script.

Urrgh.

>Or <dream> There's a well-known utility to translate Solaris /etc/passwd
>and /etc/shadow files into a working FreeBSD format </dream>.

>Suggestions appreciated...

If you're using DES encryption on the FreeBSD box, you should be able to
snip the encrypted passwords out of Solaris:/etc/shadow and use them,
along with what's in Solaris:/etc/passwd, to fabricate
FreeBSD:/etc/master.passwd records.  If the logins on the Solaris box
are actually unique, this should be a reasonably straightforward task.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915