Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:17:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        vev@michvhf.com
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBSS channel vs Current channel

In message: <Pine.BSF.4.44.0301262235250.31693-100000@paprika.michvhf.com>
            Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
:
: I've tried this with both 4.7 and 5.0 with the same result.  It doesn't
: matter if I use ifconfig or wicontrol to change the channel, if the card
: sees an AP on another channel, that's where it's going.  Why?  If I tell
: it to be on channel 2, it should go to channel 2.  If I look at wicontrol
: it tells me the "IBSS channel" is what I want, but if there's an AP on a
: nearby channel the "Current channel" will be the one with the AP on it.
:
: Am I missing something somewhere?   Is something else supposed to be set?
:
: ifconfig wi0 channel 7 up
:
: That should change it to channel 7, right?  As should:
:
: wicontrol -i wi0 -f 7
:
: ifconfig wi0 still reports it as being on channel 2.
:
: The end result is to have two cards in a Soekris board, one acting as the
: client to another AP and the other in hostap mode on another channel.  As
: it is now, the client card is locking into the hostap card.

The channel parameter is ignored when you are in BSS mode, which is
the default.

ifconfig wi0 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt ibss ssid fred channel 7

is closer to what you need (note: mediaopt to set ibss, media because
mediaopt doesn't seem to work w/o it).

Warner