Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 12:20:01 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
To:        Etienne <etienne@unix.za.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is my hardrive packing up ?

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:38:02AM +0200, Etienne stood up and spoke:
> May 16 11:35:23 mail /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
> May 16 11:35:23 mail /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> resetting
>
> These are the error messages I'm seeing. Any idea what is means ?

The question is if the messages just started to appear on a machine that
worked fine before, or if you've just put a new machine into operation and
these messages have been there from the beginning.

Anyway, having a look at your IDE cables, and probably exchanging them,
would be a good thing to try. You didn't mentuion what kind of DMA/PIO mode
you are using, but in case you are trying to use anything like UDMA66 and
up, you do at least need a well-designed 80-pin IDE cable.

You may also want to tell FreeBSD to use PIO for your hard drive in case
you are currently using DMA, or the other way round. I recently had a
machine with a CD-ROm drive working in PIO mode, and after reading a few
megabyte of data from that drive, I'd always get an error message similar
to yours. Then, the IDE bus seemed to be totally locked up (both channels),
which meant that I had to reset my system or wait for FreeBSD to crash.

Interestingly, I could simply use the appropriate sysctls to make my CD-ROM
drive use DMA and the problems went away instantly. I still don't know why
they were there in the first place, however, as my CD-ROM drive was running
standalone as secondary master, with the primary master hard disk being the
only other IDE device in my system...

Greetings
Nils

--