Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:38:44 +0100
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Your Name <bg271828@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Portinstalling fonts without X

On Sunday 06 of February 2005 21:25, Your Name wrote:
> i tried this at freebsd-questions, but no answer--i
> thought this is simple! Thanks for the help.
>
> Jen

In short: you can't.
At least not from ports, it will not install entire X though.
The intent of fonts ports is mostly for usage by X. They need XFree86/X.Org
-clients to build fonts.dir and fonts.scale files and they need fontconfig to
build cache file (fonts other than truetype also need stuff from -clients to
actually build).
That said, the easiest thing to do would be to copy fonts from some other
machine to where you need them. Or perhaps doing a 'make extract' in a
particular port and then manually copying font files. I don't think it would
be of much benefit to modify ports to just extract a file and copy fonts
somewhere if WITHOUT_X11 is defined, especially since doing it manually, you
are more free to choose which fonts exactly you would want and where to put
them. Furthemore, you don't have to worry so much about security implications
and other upgrades with fonts. Feel free to convince me otherwise of
course :)

Dejan