Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 18:05:13 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spin

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 06:51:31PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > It certainly isn't CAD -- it isn't used in designing stuff.  It is a
> > model checker and falls close to the field for Formal Methods and proving
>
> Does stuff in logic like cad/spice does in electronics.

I can't quite parse this.  But if you are saying is often used for
checking models of circuits like SPICE, then I have to disagree.

Here is the description of a couple of the included examples:

/*
 * Models the Pathfinder scheduling algorithm and explains the
 * cause of the recurring reset problem during the mission on Mars
 *
 * there is a high priority process, that consumes
 * data produced by a low priority process.
 * data consumption and production happens under
 * the protection of a mutex lock
 * the mutex lock conflicts with the scheduling priorities
 * which can deadlock the system if high() starts up
 * while low() has the lock set
 * there are 12 reachable states in the full (non-reduced)
 * state space -- two of which are deadlock states
 * partial order reduction cannot be used here because of
 * the 'provided' clause that models the process priorities
 */

/* Dolev, Klawe & Rodeh for leader election in unidirectional ring
 * `An O(n log n) unidirectional distributed algorithm for extrema
 * finding in a circle,'  J. of Algs, Vol 3. (1982), pp. 245-260
 */

/* Peterson's solution to the mutual exclusion problem - 1981 */

/* Peterson's algorithm for N processes - see Lynch's book, p. 284 */

/*
 * PROMELA Validation Model
 * FLOW CONTROL LAYER VALIDATION [for FTP]
 */

/*
 * A program to sort concurrently N "random" numbers
 * The reduced space and time should be linear in the
 * number of processes, and can be reduced when the length of
 * the buffer queues is increased.
 * In full search it should be exponential.
 */