Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2005 09:59:49 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Sergei Gnezdov <sgnezdov@pobox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: News from several NNTP Servers

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 10:20:38PM -0800, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
> NNTP clients I like (Emacs) work with one NNTP server at a time.
>
> I use some free NNTP server, but its reliability is not the best.
>
> So, I am thinking of collecting news from free servers, which specialize
> on certain newsgroups.  I don't know how to do that or what to use.
>
> I also would like to collect/cache newsgroup messages on my machine, so
> I can decide expiration rules.

As you seem to already have figured out, the solution is to run a local
newsserver which gathers messages from several servers and caches them.

> I think I could use INN server, but I have no idea how upstream servers
> are different from NNTP client connections.

There are two different ways of getting news from upstream.  The first
is to have them send everything to you. This requires some kind of
agreement with the upstream-server.
The other is to pull articles one by one from the upstream just like a
normal nntp-client.
Most nntp-servers can be configured to pull data from upstream just as
if it was a client which means that you do not need any sort of special
agreement with upstream.

I am not familiar with INN, but I feel fairly certain that it can be
configured to pull articles from upstream.

You might also wish to take a look at the leafnode or nntpcache ports,
both of which seem to have been designed exactly to do what you need.

Dnews can also be configured to do what you want, but since that is a
commercial program (with a free download and a free trial period) you
might not want it.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson