Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 21:16:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Blapp <blapp@attic.ch>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, alfred@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS unmounts while reboot ?

Problem:
--------

As I notized, a FreeBSD NFS-client does not unmount it's
NFS-mounts during reboot. This can cause problems on the
server if it's not BSD. At least Linux complains if there
are still nfs-mounted filesystems on the server. It also
would be a Good Thing (TM) if /var/db/mountdtab is properly
handled. Umount(8) is fixed now for doing the rpc calls properly
and the patch is reviewed by Alfred and billf.

------------

One could just made a quick and dirty solution as Linux has, like one line
in rc.shutdown:

umount -Avt nfs

The problem with this solution is that umount just hangs
if one nfs server is not available. If umount does hang,
reboot hangs too.

There exists also 'umount -f' , but this does not do
the rpc call to the server.

Possible Solutions:

1.) Add a option to umount to accept some max. delay. If the
    Server does not respond, we just do the next unmount.

2.) fork some prozess in background that does the rpc call.
    We don't wait till it is back.

What do you propose and think about this issue ?

Martin