Date:      09 Feb 2003 01:34:11 -0900
From:      Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd4.7 and Samba and OS X

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 18:29, Bill Moran wrote:
> David Kelly wrote:

> >>I just thought of this ...
> >>Samba has the option to "hide dot files" which would prevent the
> >>Apples from ever seeing the .appledouble (as I remember) files at
> >>all.
> >
> > Yeah But... The .AppleDouble directories were created by NetAtalk. They
> > were not the creation of clients which had connected to the share.
> >
> > But you may be on to something as MacOS X does like to create a dot
> > file/directory on shared resources, its just not called .AppleDouble.
> > More like .sD2 IIRC.
>
> Well, I could be wrong about, ".AppleDouble" specifically, but the whole
> theory that dotfiles could be disappearing into a Samba black hole is
> what I was trying to put across.

I also think you guys might be on to something. The only difference
between the 2 shares is that the ServerFiles share has a 'veto' option
in it to hide these files. Maybe my understanding of veto is wrong, I
always thought that it hid the files not disallowed them to be created.
I will try again monday by commenting out the veto directive and see if
that is the problem. I will post my results to the list about what I
find.

Thanks a lot!

Jon