Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 14:31:37 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        dedwards@seic.com ("Edwards, David")
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 - 3.3.2 and Freebsd 2.2.5

> Dear FBSD'ers,
>          I have loaded FBSD 2.2.5 on my machine (I only have the CD's
> - no manual)  - I want to upgrade XFree86 to vs. 3.3.2 (to support my
> card).

> My question is this - If I download the Xfree86.tar (for
> XFree86-3.3.2) and use pkg_add, then delete the X-servers I don't
> need; will this suffice?? or am I missing some critical steps here. If
> this is not the best way to achieve this, then what steps should I
> follow??

> (I have 18mths Linux/SunOS experience, so I don't mind tinkering - but
> my internet connection is slow, and has a tendency to stall my ftp
> connections - so a full ftp/ports process is not my best option)

Your best bet would be to do the ports thing as FreeBSD-2.2.5 is relatively
old now, and you risk compatibility problems by using the binaries...

Instead of using fetch, get the archives manually and put them in
/usr/ports/distfiles/xc.  That way, you can ``reget'' (in ftp) if
your connection drops.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;