Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:15:29 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, cadastrosonline@yahoo.com.br
Subject:   Re: Memory mannagment

--=-R+JSUcgdUh5bSY6olt+l

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 11:36 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-06-14 01:15, cadastrosonline cadastrosonline <cadastrosonline@yah=
oo.com.br> wrote:
> > First of all,
> >
> > "Each process has its own private address space. The address space is i=
nitially divided
> > into three logical segments: text,
> > data, and stack. "
> >
> > But if the address is just something like 343556 then how does it
> > really work? The memory is divided into segments is that what it
> > means?
>=20
> An answer to this is a very long introductory course in UNIX systems
> internals.  In general, you can find a lot of detail about memory
> management and allocation in books like ``The Design and Implementation
> of the FreeBSD Operating System''[1] or even the classic book of Abraham
> Silberschatz called ``Operating System Concepts''[2].
>=20
> [1] http://www.amazon.com/Design-Implementation-FreeBSD-Operating-System/=
dp/0201702452
> [2] http://www.amazon.com/Operating-System-Concepts-Abraham-Silberschatz/=
dp/0471694665
>=20
> > "The data segment contains the initialized and uninitialized data porti=
ons of a program"

> > Is it talking about multithreading? I COULDNT FIND anything talking
> > about how freebsd deals with multithreading, just found out it does it
> > by man pthread.
>=20
> No, it's not talking about multi-threading.  Please see [1] above for
> concepts like `process' and `thread' in FreeBSD.
>=20
> > Tell me anything else interesting to know about memory mannagment, does
> > it use any algorithm to substitute a page when out of pages in memory?
>=20
> This is also explained in [1] above :)

I'd also suggest 'Operating Systems Design and Implementation' [1] by
Andrew Tanenbaum (wrote MINIX, teaches OS design at a Dutch uni, lots
and lots of OS research).=20

$108 seems a lot for a book tho (sure I didn't pay that much?!).

[1]
http://www.amazon.com/Operating-Systems-Implementation-Prentice-Software/dp=
/0131429388

--=-R+JSUcgdUh5bSY6olt+l