Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:48:59 +0300
From:      Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple default routes on multihome host

Bill,

Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 04:36:18PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> I would suggest you ask yourself (and possibly the list) _why_ you think
> multiple default routes is necessary ... what is it that you're hoping
> to accomplish.  I'm guessing your looking for some sort of redundancy,
> in which case something like CARP or RIP is liable to be the correct
> solution.

I had faced such situation once: I had multihomed host that was
running Apache daemon that was announced via two DNS names that
were corresponding to two different IPs, going via two different
providers.  When the first provider's link goes down, the second
provider is still alive, and when both providers are alive, the
traffic is balanced via DNS round-robin alias.  Do you see some
better way to do it via CARP, RIP, something different?  I am still
interested in other possibilities.

Thank you!
--
Eygene