Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 05:16:27 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gif tunnel woes

	hello, regarding to the note on:

	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+2538+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-net/20010506.freebsd-net

	the symptom is repeatable.  however, it seems to me that the multi
	destination mode is poorly documented, and needs certain (strange)
	configuration to work properly.  i have no idea how can it be useful.
	the destination tunnel gateway address is taken from rt_gateway,
	so i guess you'd need to set routing table like this:
	% route add -inet 192.168.10.0 24.27.51.59
	% route change -inet 192.168.10.0 24.27.51.59 -ifp gif0
	which seems very counter-intuitive to me (NOTE: i did not test this).

	my preference is to dropp support for multi-destination mode from
	gif(4), as the multi-destination behavior is violating network layering
	(rt_gateway is in inner header, and gif(4) multi-destination mode
	uses it to determinte outer header).

itojun