Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:15:32 -0500
From:      tb@deskmail.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing 3.1-RELEASE

I'm new to FreeBSD, though I've experimented with Linux (I know,
that isn't much help)...

Here's my problem:
I can't install fBSD from either my hard drive or a homemade CD. I
downloaded it from
ftp://ftp.ee.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/3.1-RELEASE/,
getting EVERYTHING, but when I install from the hard disk I get a
failed to find bin error message while copying, and while installing
from the CD I get a write error (-1) message. I don't know what the
problem is...
------
When installing from the HD, I:
+ Put fBSD downloaded files into C:\FreeBSD\. The bin folder,
along with its files, is in a subdir there, C:\FreeBSD\bin\.
+ Tried Beginner's install & Expert install
+ Tried setting release to both "3.1-RELEASE" and "none", per
suggestion by the dialog box.
When installing from the CD, I:
+ Created a CD-R (not CD-RW) with all the files in the root (\bin
contained the bin).
+ Tried that CD in both CD drives installed on the computer, first
IDE Primary Master, then IDE Primary Slave - my system is set up
like this:
IDE0 ------> MASTER - CD
           \---> SLAVE - CD-RW
IDE1 -------> 6.4G HD
+ Tried here to use "none" instead of "3.1-RELEASE" to no avail
(see above).
------
I really don't want to have to purchase a CD if possible, mainly
because this is an experiment to see if it will be useful in my
working environment.

+++ I ALSO HAVE a Windows95/DOS partition on the same disk
that was 6.4GIG when I started (FAT32) and which I resized to ca.
4GIG via partition magic 4 to make room for fBSD.

Am I just missing something off-the-wall or stupid?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks