Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:56:41 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzip from ports vs gzip from system

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 26), Norberto Meijome said:
>
>>Hi there,
>>I had to install gzip from ports as gzip from base system doesn't seem
>>to support >2GB files. Now I find myself with a set of gzip utils in
>>/usr/bin/ (system) and one in /usr/local/ (ports).
>

> I have never had any problems with gzip and files over 2gb.  Do you
> have an example?

Hi Dan,
neither had I until my backup script died on me.

I'm still trying to figure out *where* the fault really is (dump /usr |
gzip > [share via amd to Win32 NAS as NFS server, running Unix services
for Windows ]).  ( comments welcome on this :) no, can't get rid of
Win2K NAS).

I found some references to gzip and >2 GB files:
- (2nd post in )
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1119573428901+28353475&threadId=397889

- http://www.gzip.org/

But not a direct reference to gzip under freebsd.

It could also be an issue with NFS (v3 from the server, but I just
realised that amd may be default to v2 (which has a 2 GB limit...which
has never been a problem as I've pushed 3GB files on it before).

Running the script again with the gzip from ports. if it fails again
i'll see when I can remount this nfs share forcing v3

thanks,
Beto
---

[numard@diablo] [Sun Jun 26 15:44:46 2005]
~
$ /usr/bin/gzip -V
gzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)
Compilation options:
DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H ASMV

[numard@diablo] [Sun Jun 26 15:49:54 2005]
~
$ /usr/local/bin/gzip -V
gzip 1.3.5
(2002-09-30)
Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation
Copyright 1992-1993 Jean-loup Gailly
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of this program
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
Compilation options:
DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H HAVE_MEMORY_H HAVE_STRING_H
HAVE_LSTAT ASMV
Written by Jean-loup Gailly.