Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:43:37 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Bonett <greg@bonett.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: upgraded to 7.3 - trouble with gstripe and geli

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 09:04:23PM -0700, Greg Bonett wrote:
> hi,
> I just upgraded to freebsd 7.3 on amd64 and I'm having trouble attaching
> a geli device.  I am using gstripe to created a striped array with two
> disks and then using geli to create an encryption layer on top of it.
> It was working with 7.2, but after an upgrade I'm running into this
> error when I try and attach the geli device:
>=20
> #geli attach -k key.file /dev/stripe/private
> geli: Cannot read metadata from /dev/stripe/private: Invalid argument.
>=20
> also gstripe dump gives:
> #gstripe dump /dev/stripe/private
> Can't read metadata from /dev/stripe/private: Invalid argument.
> gstripe: Not fully done.

You should apply 'gstripe dump' to stripe components, so in your case to
ad8s2 and ad12s2.

If 'geli dump /dev/stripe/private' doesn't show anything, try dumping
the last sector:

	# dd if=3D/dev/stripe/private count=3D1 iseek=3D3760270079 | hexdump -C | =
head

> I didn't see anything in /usr/src/UPDATING about gstripe but I'm
> wondering if the default stripe size or something changed between 7.2
> and 7.3

Even if the default stripesize changed, it shouldn't affect your setup,
as stripesize is kept in metadata and read from there.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--