Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 12:42:13 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Grrr... calcru: negative time blah blah blah

Bill Paul wrote:
[..]
> Actually, looking at the patch closer, I realize now that none of the
> warning messages actually triggered. However each time, the calcru
> messages did appear and the system console response became sluggish.
>
> I'm starting to think the problem in this case is an interrupt storm,
> but I'm not sure how to debug it. If I set up a second system to do
> a remote gdb of the first one, can I single step through things like
> interrupt handlers without Weird Things (tm) happening?

Just a thought that might be worth checking into..  Is the kstack growing
down into struct pstats, the sigacts, and perhaps pcb?  This would be
highly dependent on interrupt handlers, machine load (amount of nesting)
etc and could explain why it hits some more than others.

I've talked with a couple of people about moving the pcb, sigacts, pstats
etc to the top of the two upages and have the kstack grow down from
underneath it, and possibly allow for an unmapped page below the first
UPAGE as a diagnostic tool (that will force a double panic on a kstack
overflow).

The top of stack can be tested on full stack unwind and return to user
mode if we need to.

Cheers,
-Peter