Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:04:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        roberto@eurocontrol.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic with CURRENT & softupdates-240298

> Running a CURRENT kernel with the softupdate code of 2/24/98 leads to the
> following panic. It is always failing at the same place in
> "softdep_setup_allocindir_page".
>
> Now, it is procmail that trigger the problem although the filesystem in
> question is not very heavily used.
>
> /dev/sd1s1h on /home (local, noatime, soft-updates, writes: sync 4 async 367)

Is this always, or only "mostly", repeatable?

I would seriously suggest that you turn off "noatime", and try to repeat
this again.

The "noatime" is probably something which should be disallowed with
soft updates; I'm not sire, but I believe the dependency resolvers
make certain assumptions about the relationship graphs, and that might
include subgraph vector length (which you would change by disabling
the atime change node creation).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---