Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 14:30:55 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ying-Chieh Liao <ijliao@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11-fonts/webfonts Makefile distinfo

[ redirected to ports@, cc: jkh@ ]

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 09:44:18PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> >   Also removed NO_PACKAGE, it doesn't seem to be justified.
>
> I don't think it is right. By removing NO_PACKAGE you allow ftp
> distribution of the resulting package. I'm really not sure that
> the licence allows this.  > Please verify and adjust if necessary.
> We really don't want to be sued by M$.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but the following clause from the licence rings
> a bell to me:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm
>
> "Restrictions on Alteration. You may not rename, edit or create any
> derivative > works from the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, other than subsetting
> when embedding them in documents."

I don't think that by packaging the fonts we are in any way violating
the EULA.  It is still the same as it was before; now it is merely in
another distribution format.  The clause above seems to be directed
specifically at the fonts themselves, not the format in which they were
originally distributed.  Of course, IANAL.  Perhaps Jordan should give
his decision on the matter since the people legally responsible for
FreeBSD.org rest within his moniker.

--
wca