Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:44:29 -0700
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "Jim Weeks" <jim@siteplus.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OT- Listening to a port

On Wednesday, March 08, 2000 7:58 PM Jim Weeks wrote:

>This article is geared toward Linux but gives an excellent explanation
>of
>what goes on during ppp connection.  http://www.diac.com/linux2.html
>First
>you should install the port minicom from
>http://www.freebsd.org/ports/comms.html then follow the example of
>logging
>in manually.  You should be able to substitute the FreeBSD specific ppp
>configuration details and concentrate on the manual login.  Pay
>attention to
>the part about starting a script to log all terminal input.  This file
>will
>be the key to your final configuration.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Jim
>
>Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
>
>> I don't have an immediate answer to your question, but have you tried
>> asking your ISP?  I used to run an ISP's network, and I wouldn't have
>had
>> any problem with helping a customer get their dialup access working...
>

>> Ken Bolingbroke
>> hacker@bolingbroke.com
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Duke Normandin wrote:
>>
>> > I;m not sure what I need, so the subject line may not be
>> > accurate.
>> >
>> > I have a dial-up connection to my ISP using his proprietary
>> > dialer on win95. I want to connect to him using FBsd 3.3R.
>> > I need to "listen" to and "capture" what the above dialer
>> > is sending to the ISP when making a connection, so that I
>> > can duplicate it with a ppp script. What utitlity do I need
>> > to get to snoop on my own box?

Thanks for the info Jim! However, I have a gut feeling that it's
not going to work. The proprietary dialer that I'm *required* to
use sends my name. password and another "id" number -- in what
sequence I don't know. I have a vague idea about the PAP/CHAP
deals, but I'm guessing that first of all I need to know the
exact sequence of things before initiating a dialogue. That's
why I asked about "listening to a port". I guess ppp doesn't use
a port to do its thing. What I wanted to do was to "capture" the
entire dialogue between this proprietary dialer and my ISP from
win95. Then I could turn around and start learning ppp by trying
to duplicate the win95 dialogue. Am I making any sense, or am I
as lost as I feel? ;^)

-duke