Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2019 21:05:55 +0000
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Balanga Bar <balanga.bar@gmail.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 12:28:44PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> portsnap fetch well get you the latest ^head ports, and they may or may
> not build on 11.0, I believe it does build on 11.2.

The guarantee from portmgr is that

  "the head ports tree will build on the earliest supported release on
   each branch"

e.g. right now:

  11.2R
  12.0R

Further reading:

  https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup
  https://www.freebsd.org/portmgr/policies_eol.html

In particular, the last line of the latter:

  "Older releases are not maintained; ports and packages may not be
   able to install or run. Users are strongly encouraged to upgrade
   to one of the supported releases mentioned above"

is the official ports tree guarantee.

mcl