Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 00:21:02 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with sb

I have been ahving terrible problems with my sb Pro 3.1 clone. My 2.1.5
kernel was compiled with:

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr

and on booting:

Dec 24 10:59:11 rhiannon /kernel: sb0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
Dec 24 10:59:11 rhiannon /kernel: sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>

is detected.

I have the requisite devices:
lrwxrwxr-x  1 root  wheel         6 Dec 26 23:30 /dev/audio -> audio0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   4 Dec 27 00:03 /dev/audio0

(similar for midi etc)

*yet* Whenever I try and use it, the device locks up after playing
for a second or two.

With nas and voxware, I can start au and use auplay. A wav file will play for
about a second then freeze. The server needs to be killed (SIGKILL) and
restarted before it will respond again.

It is the device I suspect because rplay and raplay were similar though the
server locked up after only 1/2 a second of sound and is so frozen that
not even a kill -9 will kill it.

If I used

cat <some file> > /dev/audio

I'd get a second or so of noise then nothing though ^C and then catting
another file gave another second of noise so the device was not hung
totally.

I have a prnter also on irq7 though it was switched off at the time and
even killing lpd didn't help. I assume having a sb and parallel port both
on 7 is pretty standard anyway so it seems unlikely this is the problem.
I've been stumped for 2 months on this and to anyone who can help me
and prevent me going nutty over this I extend an offer of a pint of
any beer you fancy if you meet me at the Geebung Polo Club.

Peter (desperately seeking an audio guru)