Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 16:05:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      michael squires <mikes@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD Questions)
Cc:        comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu
Subject:   1.1.5.1 problem

I'm still trying to get an old 1.1.02 Release system working with 1.1.5.1.

The problem is that fairly frequently a program will crash with an error
caused either by hardware problems or by OS problems.  The most recent
example is:

Mar 19 15:24:59 sir-alan /386bsd: pid 761: gcc1: uid 0: exited on signal 11
Mar 19 15:25:00 sir-alan /386bsd: sd0: oops not queued

which is in ./scsi/sd.c and ocurred when compiling a new kernel.

I originally thought the problem was due to an old 386 motherboard, but the
problem migrated when I replaced the old board with a 486/33 ISA board.

The system has a 1542B/Wren VI primary and WD1007V/SE2/Miniscribe 660MB ESDI
secondary (which is why I can't easily move up to 2.0).  Running with only
the ESDI drive does not seem to solve the problem.  There is an Archive 2150S
on the SCSI controller; the HD is LUN 0 and the tape is LUN 2, which is
SCO XENIX/UNIX standard.  The 1542B BIOS is 3.08, an old one.

The system had previously run for quite a few months with SCO XENIX, SCO UNIX,
386BSD 0.1, and FreeBSD 1.1 Release (1.1.02), which is why I wonder about
this possibly being a problem in 1.1.5.1.

The only possibility I'm working on now is that the controller, tape drive, or
LUN assignment (FreeBSD likes LUN 6?) is the cause.

This occurs with the 386BSD.GENERICAH kernel, also.

This is obviously of historical interest only, but...