Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:09:41 +0200 (EET)
From:      Calin Andrian <calin@ibd.dbio.ro>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APC BackUPS driver

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Bruce M. Walter wrote:

> I have a DPT SCSI RAID controller here whose driver uses
> at_shutdown/POSTSYNC to flush it's (enormous!) internal disk buffers.
> When the power goes off during this it insures lost data.  I didn't get
> bit by this with your code (I did it all by myself ;) but just wanted to
> warn you in case you wanted to put a note in your tarball.
>
> I have a solution which works in all cases and supports any cable
> configuration, but requires a kernel patch :(  I've been looking for a way
> around this and will let you know if I find one.  Keep up the good work.

I didn't think there could be any real trouble. I looked through the
standard kernel sources and didn't find any critical devices wanting to do
anything at shutdown. On the other hand, I gave it a moment's thought
about patching kern_shutdown.c but quit really quick. Now that you opened
my eyes I think that maybe it's time to add another option (and list of
routines - or only ONE routine) to at_shutdown. Something like
at_shutdown(func, arg, SHUTDOWN_FOR_REAL) ment specifically for shutting
down power.

I'll look into it.

I'd like to work on it now that I already started this UPS matter.

Later,

Calin