Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:36:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "James D. Butt" <jbutt@mwci.net>
To:        Bill Sandiford <sysop@interlinks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

> I have just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 for the first time.
> In fact, I have never installed any UNIX before.
> After the install was complete the system rebooted.  Now it won't load, I am
> getting a message that says :
> Boot:
> dosdev = 80, biosdrive = 0, unit = 0, maj = 4
> Can't find /kernel

if you hit "?" it should give you a list of files in the root directory
when I just installed it. It called the default kernel kernel.GENERIC
So you just type kernel.GENERIC it will then boot and when you log in
copy kernel.GENERIC to kernel unless of course you plan to re-compile the
kernel.

  James D. Butt 'J.D.'
  Network Engineer                                   Voice 319-557-8463
  Network Operations Center                          Fax   319-557-9771
  MidWest Communications, Inc.                       Pager 319-557-6347
  241 Main St.                                          noc@mwci.net
  Dubuque, IA  52001                                   jbutt@mwci.net