Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:20:44 +0000
From:      crypt0genic <crypt0genic@ecad.org>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

* Bill Paul (wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu) [990716 13:58]:
> > I have two freeBSD machines one 3.1 -STABLE and the other 3.2 -STABLE,
>
> 3.2-STABLE *FROM WHEN*. What date does it say when you run uname -a!

FreeBSD TWEAK.HOME 3.1-STABLE FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE #3: Wed Jun 30 11:00:45 IST 199
9     root@TWEAK.HOME:/usr/src/sys/compile/TWEAK  i386

FreeBSD MANSON.HOME 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #0: Thu Jun 24 20:54:25 IST
 1999     root@MANSON.HOME:/usr/src/sys/compile/MANSON  i386

I was unsure when i wrote that in the first place so I even checked.

> You changed out the "hub" just because one FTP transfer didn't go as
> fast as you would have liked? Did you reset the interfaces (or reboot
> the machines) when you reconnected them?

I changed the hub because I was planning on doing so for some time anyway, I also rebooted the machines.

> It sounds a lot to me like you have the duplex modes on the cards set
> wrong, or that the cards are autonegotiating wrong (which is not
> impossible -- some switches that have full duplex ports don't do NWAY
> correctly). The cards must agree with their link partners: if you have
> them plugged into full duplex ports, then they must also be set to full
> duplex. If the cards are plugged into half duplex ports, then they also
> have to be half duplex.
>
> Now you're going to ask me how to set the duplex mode on the interface
> because why read the instructions when you can just ask somebody "on
> the web" instead, right? Grrr.
>
> # ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
> # ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt half-duplex

That worked, except after a few minutes i got an error on TWEAK reading "xl0: watchdog timeout" seeing as your allready reading this have you anyideas?

> Er. I don't get it. You're implying that the bug fairy just visited
> you one night while you were asleep. This doesn't happen. If you're
> having trouble now and you weren't before, then you changed something.
> Stands to reason, doesn't it?

Indeed it does, I noticed some slight network performance problems before, but nothing this severe, Also fariys only tend to visit me after too much Gin, which I havent indulged in for quiet some time.

Thanks for your help Bill, and also Andy who followed up the thread.

-Emil

--
Reverse engineering, the most phun and usually the most effective way to tackle a problem or learn something new.
Public PGP key:		http://www.ecad.org/crypt0genic_pgp_key