Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:38:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lane Holcombe" <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        "Kevin Kinsey" <k_a_kinsey@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd and firewalls

As I understand it from fetch(3), FTP passive move can be controlled by
the environment variable FTP_PASSIVE_MODE.  When this variable is
anything but "no" then ftp passive mode is enforced.  Otherwise it is
not.

I thought that meant that if the variable exists then Passive mode is
enforced but that it it did not exist then passive mode was controlled
by command line or not enforced.  But it seems like you are saying that
FreeBSD ALWAYS uses passive mode unless you specifically turn it off.

I will try that first thing tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll let you know if it changes things.

lane (holcombe)
> In FBSD, default is passive mode, which doesn't work
> behind many fw's and/or NAT setups.  So....
>
> elisha#ftp
> ftp>passive
> Passive Mode Off.
> ftp>open ftp.freebsd.org