Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 02:50:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ck@toplink.de (Christian Kratzer)
Cc:        wmbfmk@urc.tue.nl, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quantum Fireball, any good?

> Hi
>
> sorry about the previous empty message.
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can get a nice deal on a quantum fireball 1080S. Are they any good
> > performancewise? Any known flaws with respect to FreeBSD (2.0.5)?
> > It will be connected to a NCR53c825 on a Dell 90Mhz pentium.
> >
> I have two of them in my 2.0R system.  I don`t have any performance
> data handy but here's something else.
>
> I did have serious problems when I tried installing. After I had partioned
> them and booted for the second time FreeBSD kept crashing on the fsck
> of /dev/sd0e. Actually you could hear the spindle motor stop as if somebody
> had turned to power off.   After going nuts over a weekend I finally managed
> to get the installtion going by manually running newfs and fsck.
>
> Perhaps somebody could comment on the reliability of this drive. I am
> running a newsfeed into a 800MB partition on one of these drives. It's
> taking quite a hammering when a batch of new articles comes in.

Oh, I forget to mention this in my other reply, anytime I see a drive
manuafacture drop performance, price and reliabilty numbers for a new
series of drives vs what they had been shipping it scares me BIG TIME
about those drives.

The fireball/lightning series in effect replaced the Empire/ProDrive series
on the low end of Quantums scale.  Along with it came a warranty reduction
from 5 years to 3 years, a drop in MTBF numbers from 500k to 300K, and a
huge price drop.

Now you go figure it... is it Quantum wanting to break into the PC disk
drive market in a bigger way, or is Quantum going to forsake it's reputation
and start selling junk drives?