Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:00:46 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vinum R5 [was: Re: background fsck deadlocks with ufs2 and big disk]

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 02:28:45PM -0800, Darryl Okahata
<darrylo@soco.agilent.com> wrote:

> Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee> wrote:
>
> > I'll second Brad's statement about vinum and softupdates
> > interactions. My last experiments with vinum were more than half a
> > year ago, but I guess it still holds. BTW, the interactions showed
> > up _only_ on R5 volumes. I had 6 disk (SCSI) R5 volume in Compaq
> > Proliant 3000 and the system was very stable before I enabled
> > softupdates.. and of course after I disabled softupdates. In between
> > there were crashes and nasty problems with filesystem. Unfortunately
> > it was production system and I hadn't chanche to play.
>
>      Did you believe that the crashes were caused by enabling softupdates on
> an R5 vinum volume, or were the crashes unrelated to vinum/softupdates?
> I can see how crashes unrelated to vinum/softupdates might trash vinum
> filesystems.

The crashes and anomalies with filesystem residing on R5 volume were
related to vinum(R5)/softupdates combo. The vinum R5 and system as
a whole were stable without softupdates. Only one problem remained
after disabling softupdates, while being online and user I/O going
on, rebuilding of failed disk corrupt the R5 volume completely.
Don't know is it fixed or not as I don't have necessary hardware at
the moment. The only way around was to quiesce the volume before
rebuilding, umount it, and wait until rebuild finished. I'll suggest
extensive testing cycle for everyone who's going to work with
vinum R5. Concat, striping and mirroring has been a breeze but not
so with R5.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee