Date:      Thu, 15 May 2008 14:16:20 -0700
From:      Christopher Cowart <ccowart@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: time drift

--Q6STzHxy03qt/hK9

David Kelly wrote:
> Its PC commodity-grade. Not all that unusual even for stuff sold
> claiming to be a "server". This is in no small part why ntpd exists.
>=20
> nptd calculates a correction coefficient and (under FreeBSD) stores it
> in /var/db/ntpd.drift for use on next start so as to more quickly
> establish a lock.
>=20
> So in short ntpd calibrates your clock in order to minimize the
> corrections required. Is The Right Thing To Do.

We run a large number of FreeBSD servers under vmware. We've seen ntpd
silently die, because the drift becomes "insane." What do others do in
this situation? (We've resorted to croning ntpdate for VMs.)

--=20
Chris Cowart
Network Technical Lead
Network & Infrastructure Services, RSSP-IT
UC Berkeley

--Q6STzHxy03qt/hK9

--Q6STzHxy03qt/hK9--