Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:10:35 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

> Seriously, isn't that one of the chief criticisms of Microsoft, that every
> time they release a new version of Windows, you have to plunk down for
> {more,better,faster,newer,bigger} hardware in order to make the best use
> of it?

Microsoft is a company with billions of dollars in assets.  FreeBSD is
almost entirely volunteer supported, and those few people in active
FreeBSD employ are not paid to work on audio support.  If Microsoft is
therefore unable or unwilling to continue to support old hardware,
even with their resources, then please explain to me how it is
you can expect FreeBSD to do more with volunteers.

> Despite this frequently noted complaint, the fact remains that Windows
> still continues to work with much older hardware.  Why shouldn't FreeBSD?

Indeed, why shouldn't it, and so where's your contribution to making
it be so?  That's the only thing that's going to help you here and
these complaints truly do not address the issue at its most
fundamentally important level: It takes someone to do the work even
when it comes to maintaining old things at some minimum level of
functionality and in a volunteer project, you should always be
prepared to either volunteer yourself or shut up at some point.
That decision point has now arrived in your case and it's up to
you to decide which fork in the road you want to take.

- Jordan