Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:19:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joshua Delong Thomas <jdt2101@ksu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Make World X-Applications take much longer to load

I just had to make world because of the ports tree being out of date, and
everything went like a charm.  I rebuilt the kernel with exactly the same
options I had before, and no problems.  However, now any X applications
take much longer to load than before the make world.  I have an amd k6-2
450, and netscape takes approximately 4 times as long for the window to
show as before the make world.  Load is very low, no memory problems, and
I'm pretty clueless about this.  I realize this is pretty vague, but its
all I could think of.   Perhaps unrelated or not, on boot I get a strange
vi problem.  Didn't show up in dmesg, so I'll try to copy and paste itas
soon as I reboot, but it looks like this:
vi recovering editor sessions

And sits like this for about 10 minutes until the user prompt comes
up.   I realize that vi can have to recover editor sessions, but I didn't
leave any vi editor sessions open, and I'm pretty sure I didn't abnormally
close vi.  Is there some cache of vi sessions I need to flush?  Anyway,
thanks.

-Josh