Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:44:10 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: svn+ssh over nonstandard port fails to connect

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:10:18PM -0700, Christopher Cowart wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:45:50PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > I'm attempting to connect to a Subversion repository via SSH using a
> > nonstandard port to check out the repository.  The names and numbers in
> > the following have been changed to protect the guilty:
> >
> >   svn co svn+ssh://user@123.45.678.90:1234/usr/home/svn-repos/project project
>
> Try:
>
> SVN_SSH="ssh -p 1234" svn co svn+ssh://user@host/path

Are you suggesting setting an environment variable?  I have more than one
repository checked out on this system, and they do not all use the same
port for access.

> > The result I get is as follows:
> >
> >   ssh: 123.45.678.90:1234: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
> >   svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
> >
> > Am I having a brainless moment here?  What am I missing?
>
> ssh doesn't support the hostname:port syntax. You have to use -p.
>
> Hope that helps,

I thought that might be the case, but I'm not sure how to specify it in
the svn command string -- which seems to be necessary since making a
universal (to this user account) configuration change would then break
access to other svn repositories.

They always say that when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade.
I always wonder -- isn't the lemonade going to suck if life doesn't give
you any sugar?