Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:51:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support <software@kew.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: after the release ...

> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > [Drew Derbyshire]
> > > I would suggest after the release a point release method be
> > > developed to allow (perhaps as a port type package?)  The ability to
> > > download/apply critical fixes quickly.
> > >
> > > Simply put, having to track the entire -stable source to get
> > > bugfixes on the CD-ROM is not desirable.
> >
> > Good suggestion!  Go ahead and do it; I promise to post comments about
> > your design when you post it, and I'm sure Jordan and Mike will, too.
>
> Drop dead.  You can say it's boring to do and that Real Programmers (TM) don't
> need it, go ahead, but I don't need the sarcasm.
>
> I neither a CVS expert nor directing FreeBSD release policy.

Crap.  You need neither of these.

 - Untar the 'before' and 'after' distballs in separate directories.
 - Build a list of md5's of the 'before' and 'after' files.
 - Take all of the files from the 'after' distball that don't match
   those in the 'before' distball, put them in a new archive.

You can take the 'before' md5 list and ship it as a set of "desirable
prerequisites", but that's a bit excessive.