Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:59:41 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        toolchain@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removing default build of gcc

--hsoAP4Wa+/L9NF1J

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:31:39PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>=20
> On Jan 25, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>=20
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 08:41:11AM +0000, David Chisnall wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>=20
> >> In 10.0, the plan is not to ship any GPL'd code, so I'd like to start =
disconnecting things from the default build, starting with gcc.  I've been =
running a gcc-free system for a while, and I think all of the ports that do=
n't build with clang are now explicitly depending on gcc.  Does anyone have=
 strong opinions on when would be a good time for head on x86 and x86-64 to=
 default to not building gcc?
> >=20
> > To clarify: there is no plans to not ship any GPLed code for 10.x.
> > Instead, there are still plans to ship working 10.x.
> >=20
> > Please do not consider the personal opinion as the statement of the pro=
ject
> > policy.
>=20
> The goal is to try not to ship GPL'd code in 10. The goal is not to ship =
10 without GPL'd code if that results in a broken system. The goal also as =
articulated at different forum, was for Tier 1 systems.  Tier 2 and 3 syste=
ms may use GPL code as a fallback if the non-gpl'd code doesn't work on tho=
se platforms.
>=20
> That is to say, it is a goal, not an absolute requirement.

All you said is reasonable and quite coincides with what I thought.

Unfortunately, it has very tangential relations to what is proposed to
do and to the political agenda declared in the message started the thread.

I am really tired of the constant struggle against the consumation of
the FreeBSD as the test-bed for the pre-alpha quality software. E.g.,
are we fine with broken C++ runtime in 9 ?

--hsoAP4Wa+/L9NF1J

--hsoAP4Wa+/L9NF1J--