Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:12:26 +0800
From:      Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   **URGENT** Upgrading 2.2.5-R problem,somebody help me,please.

Hi, FreeBSD gurus,

Today I upgrade 2.2.5-Release from 2.2.2-Release on my machine.
The following procedures that I upgrade it:
1. Make and boot floppy disk.
2. Backup /etc directory.
3. Boot from floppy disk and select 'upgrade' option.
4. Mount my original filesystems and NOT newfs them.
5. Select distributions(just /BIN)
6. It copies lastest /etc directory all files to /etc/upgrade directory.

7. Exit install menu and reboot.

When I reboot, the problem is I CAN'T use 'root' or any user from login,
seems these
passwords not right, and it appears login failed.
I try to boot 'single user mode', I check my original /etc directory
files are the same,
because the the lastest file move to /etc/upgrade directory.
So why I can't use 'root' or any user accounts that I've created.
Would anyone know how to solve this "serious issue"(for me), PLEASE
tell me.

Many thanks,
Doug.