Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 00:27:49 -800
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, S ren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: console Freezes.

On  8 Jul 98 at 14:49, Chris Coleman wrote:

> I am having a problem with my console freezing.  The vtys just stop
> responding. i am running a 2.2.6-Stablish version on a Pentium 100.  X
> still works if I run kdm.  I can login remotely.  dialup to the server
> still works,  Just the terminals freeze.  I can't switch virtual
> terminals.  I must be something with the console driver.  Where do I start
> looking.  I have tried rebooting and it freezes up after a while.

Oh, that's disturbing.  This sounds like a problem that I (and
others) ran into a couple of years ago with 2.1.x.  If you search the
mailing list archives for "options and ASYNCH", you can find some
related conversations.  At the time, there were two solutions
discussed:

1.  Put this line into your /etc/crontab:

  * * * * * root /usr/sbin/kbdcontrol -r normal < /dev/console

That will cause the keyboard to be reset once a minute.  It's ugly,
but it makes it so the console won't be locked for more than a minute
at a time.

1.  Compile this option into your kernel:

  options ASYNCH

That is (was) an option for sc0 (syscons.c) that in most cases
eliminated the problem.

Now for the bad news -- while I was digging into the archives and the
code, trying to remember what kernel option to suggest you try, I
discovered that "options ASYNCH" was removed from the code before
2.2-Release.  Here are the details for relevent change in the CVS
repository:

1.152 Fri Jun 21 7:19:17 1996 UTC by sos
(Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>)
Diffs to 1.151

Some news for syscons (long overdue):

Real support for a Textmode mousecursor, works by reprogramming the
charset. Together with this support for cut&paste in text mode. To use
it a userland daemon is needed (moused), which provides the interface
to the various mice protokols. Bug fixes here and there, all known
PR's closed by this update.

Soren:

Would you happen to recall why you removed ASYNCH?  Is there some
other option that might cure this problem?

Dave