Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 1998 10:41:05 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   3dfx, X and Mesa

For those interested in rendering to a window using a 3dfx card...

	Enjoy,
	Amancio

In article <34B65860.28835D0F@NOSPAM.scorn.org>, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>chipset. Is there anything analagous for Linux? I'm on the verge of
>going out and buying a 3dfx card, but I'd very much like some support
>for in window acceleration so that anything I linked with Mesa would
>gain the benefit, and not just something like Quake when played full
>screen.
        Mesa has capabilities to render to a window with the 3dfx, but it
does not yield the same performance that fullscreen rendering with the
3dfx does.  Instead of having the 3dfx do the rendering AND displaying of
its framebuffer, the 3dfx does the rendering and Mesa copies the data in
the 3dfx framebuffer to your 2D video cards video memory and puts it in a
window.  The performance of using this hack, as i said before, is not as
high as using the 3dfx at fullscreen...but it's a dramatic improvement
over total software rendering with Mesa.

                                                -Phil