Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:14:31 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Sergei Gnezdov <use-reply-to@gnezdov.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Russian from ssh console

On 2005-03-13, Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade@ints.net> wrote:
> Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to read Russian messages from slrn.  I set LANG
>> environment variable to ru_RU, but it does not help.  I think it is
>> because the underlying system does not support Russian or something
>> like this.  I don't plan to type messages in Russian.  Most of the GUI
>> apps seem to support foreign languages out of the box.  What's so
>> difficult with the console apps?
>
>    Compare your ~/.login_conf to /etc/login.conf. Set the LANG there.

I added the following to ~/.login_conf:

me:\
        :charset=KOI8-R:\
        :lang=ru_RU.KOI8-R:

SLRN and mutt started to send guarbage messages in some cases.

I decided that it is font related and tried to execute the following
command from ssh terminal:

	vidcontrol -f cp866b

I've the the following message:

vidcontrol: must be on a virtual console: Inappropriate ioctl for device

So, is there any way to change font loaded when using ssh terminal?

Also, how do I know which encoding to use (KOI8, DOS, Windows)?  What
if some messages use KOI8 and some are Windows?