Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:50:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Behal, Satwant" <behsa01@mail.cai.com>
Cc:        "'Dan Riley'" <daniel@vailsys.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: problem with network card.

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Behal, Satwant wrote:

> Can anyone please help me with this ?

I'll try, it's pretty badly chopped up.

> > >         you said:
> > >         Is this irq available to isa via bios?
> > >       how do I find that out ?
> >
> > Forgive my lack of technical terms, but most of the time there is an
> > option in the bios related to plug and play. There you can
> > enable/disable which irqs are reserved for legacy isa cards and which
> > irqs are available to pnp/pci cards.

Assuming the Ethernet card is Plug&play (which it is most likey not).
Use a diagnostic utility like MSD or Win95's Computer Properties to see
what interrupts are in use on your system.  Make sure the Ethernet card is
using an unique IRQ.  In fact, tell FreeBSD to use the one Windows is
using.

> > >      how do I "force tp or bnc"?
> >
> > Again, if it works in win95 then I doubt this has anything to do with
> > it. The card should have most likely come with a setup or configuration
> > utility with which you can tell the card exactly what media type is
> > being plugged into it rather than letting it auto-select between aui,
> > bnc and tp.

You can use link flags too; see the ed man page.

A little background on this:  Some ed-driven cards (ne2000s particularly)
get angry if they aren't detecting carrier on the UTP connector (assuming
twisted-pair or 10BaseT is selected).  They start spitting the ``ed0: not
responding'' error until you plug the network in.