Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:06:28 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mail (Reply-TO?)

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >I can put "set REPLYTO=xyz@somewhere.com"
> >in a ~/.mailrc file

> Well, the man page indicates that the REPLYTO that "mail" uses is an
> environment variable, not a variable set in ~/.mailrc.

this isn't very clear.  from the man page: (2.2.7)

MAIL(1)                 FreeBSD General Commands Manual                MAIL(1)

   Mail Options
     Options are controlled via set and unset commands.  Options may be either
     binary, in which case it is only significant to see whether they are set
     or not; or string, in which case the actual value is of interest.  The
     binary options include the following:

(NOTE: OPTIONS MAY BE BINARY OR STRING
 THESE ARE BINARY AND EXIST IN MAILRC FILES AND FUNCTION FINE)

     append  Causes messages saved in mbox to be appended to the end rather
             than prepended.  This should always be set (preferably in one of
             the system-wide mail.rc files).

     ask     Causes mail to prompt you for the subject of each message you
             send.  If you respond with simply a newline, no subject field
             will be sent.

     askcc   Causes you to be prompted for additional carbon copy recipients
             at the end of each message.  Responding with a newline indicates
             your satisfaction with the current list.
   .
   .
   .

(THESE ARE STRING OPTIONS THAT CAN BE PLACED IN A MAILRC FILE TOO,
 FROM THE WAY IT READS.  ALSO, "set REPLYTO=someone@somewhere.com"
 DOESN'T GENERATE AN ERROR IN .MAILRC, WHILE EXPORT COMMANDS CAUSE
 ERRORS???  REVIEWING, I THOUGHT MAYBE THE READER SHOULD INTUIT THAT
 CAPITALIZED VARIABLES ARE ONLY FOR ENV VARIABLES OUTSIDE A MAILRC
 FILE, BUT THEN AGAIN, SAYING "set MBOX=mail/Inbox" WORKS FINE
 INSIDE /etc/mail.rc.  SO WHAT GIVES? )

   Option String Values

     EDITOR        Pathname of the text editor to use in the edit command and
                   ~e escape.  If not defined, then a default editor is used.

     LISTER        Pathname of the directory lister to use in the folders com-
                   mand.  Default is /bin/ls.

     PAGER         Pathname of the program to use in the more command or when
                   crt variable is set.  The default paginator more(1) is used
                   if this option is not defined.

     REPLYTO       If set, will be used to initialize the Reply-To field for
                   outgoing messages.
   .
   .
   .

> Have you checked to see if the message has a Reply-To: header?

i want any email program to be able to say REPLY-TO-SENDER and have
a previously specified email address show up in the replying messages
"To:" field.  and that only seems to work with many web based email
accounts if the mailed message has the new address in the "From:" field.

the point is, From: ALWAYS works, it looks nicer in the sendee's
email, and it's not available to set in BSD Mail.  furthermore,
you are forced to export it in a shell before using Mail, and
that sucks.  you should be able to set it in a .mailrc file so
you don't have the variable hanging around in the environment
all the time when you only use Mail on a rare occasion.

also, when i use Mail from a machine connected to a ppp aliased
server, emails bomb when the remote server tries to verify
the hostname of my client inside a private network (if it is
not the same as the server hostname - ie, a real hostname).
Pine does not cause this to happen, even though Mail and Pine
both use the clients local SMTP server to send mail. ???

> Whenever I reply to a message that has a Reply-To: header, mail honors
> that specification -- and I've been using BSD "mail" (in various
> incarnations) as my MUA of choice since 1986.

yes it does - if you "export REPLYTO=someone@somewhere.com"
in your shell before running Mail.  why don't i have to
say "export MBOX=mail/Inbox" ???  REPLYTO and MBOX are
in the same category in the manpage ... ???