Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 15:57:13 -0700
From:      "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@habaneros.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USR Sportster external modem configuration toubles

I'm having some difficulties getting my external USR 14.4 Sportster =
modem to work. I've read the handbook, FAQ, and searched the archives, =
all to no avail. Here's the situation:

- FreeBSD 2.1R

- modem connected to serial port 2

- output of dmesg:  sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
		    sio1: type 16450            =20

- all the necessary devices files are in /dev

- gettytab contains: g|std.19200|19200-baud:\
        		     	:np:sp#19200: =20

- ttys contains:   ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  dialup  on    =

- output of stty -a -f /dev/cuaa1:
speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
        -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
        -nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel =
-ignbrk
        -brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts =
-dsrflow
        -dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: discard =3D ^O; dsusp =3D ^Y; eof =3D ^D; eol =3D <undef>;
        eol2 =3D <undef>; erase =3D ^?; intr =3D ^C; kill =3D ^U; lnext =
=3D ^V;
        min =3D 1; quit =3D ^\; reprint =3D ^R; start =3D ^Q; status =3D =
<undef>;
        stop =3D ^S; susp =3D ^Z; time =3D 0; werase =3D ^W;             =
       =20

output of ps ax |grep 'ttyd1':
234  ??  I      0:00.05 /usr/libexec/getty std.19200 ttyd1=20

If I set the modem up with the DIP switches as recommended in the =
Handbook (i.e. only #4 ON), the AA and CS lights on the modem are on. I =
'cu -s 19200 -l /dev/cuaa1' and get a connected status, however, none of =
my commands seem to affect the modem. The escape sequence will not let =
me exit, I have to suspend the program and then kill it. I have =
duplicated exactly the commands stated in the handbook, all to no =
effect. If I try to login from another modem, the modem doesn't answer =
and the AA light goes off.  At no point can I get the computer to send a =
DTR signal to the modem (i.e. the TR light remains off).

While trying to get this to work over the last week, I have managed to =
dial out under tip, and even connect from an external modem =
(unfortunately with no login) if I cheated and used the DIP switch to =
set the DTR signal on. But never have I been able to make it work like =
it all should, and now I am back at the beginning.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please respond directly to me, as I am =
not on the mailing list.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Neil Jensen
Habanero Studios Ltd