Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:53:33 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
To:        Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UFS-2 partition destroyed by change

If I understand correctly, you ran a new fsck on a UFS-2 that
had not yet been mounted by your new kernel. Thus you had a
version of fsck that expected a converted UFS-2 filesystem
that you had not yet converted (by mounting with the new kernel).
I would have expected it to fail with a bad superblock magic
number. Had you mounted it before running the new fsck, all would
have been well. I am at a loss to explain why fsck did not gag
and refuse to check it though.

	Kirk McKusick

=-=-=-=-=