Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 23:20:33 -0700
From:      Patrick Crosby <pfcrosby@earthlink.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Hard Drive/cdrom/controller support in 4.0

I have a 2 year old Dataexpert TX430II motherboard, supposedly with a
UDMA on board ide controller, but which 4.0 does not support. (3.2 and
3.3 are no problem on this and still older hardware-- I never tried
3.4). Will the next cdrom release be any less stringent in its
requirements?  If not, is there any motherboard I can buy today
(preferably a lower cost socket 7) that I can be sure will work with
4.x? Alternatively, is there still going to be a 3.5 release, which
hopefully would work with older hardware requiring a western digital
driver? (I'm a home user mainly interested in running applications on a
stable UNIX  platform, so I prefer not to get into configuring and
compiling kernels, at least not at the moment).

Thanks,
Patrick Crosby

PS: I have "Walnut Creek" cdroms, but at the moment
      they are not providing free installation support. It
     is at the moment unclear whether BSDi is going to have
     a change of heart on this or not. Latest word from Steve Hinkle
     their head of tech support is  that there will be no more free tech

     support of any kind.