Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:31:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pirat <pirat@access.inet.co.th>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make doc fails

pirat wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 10:58:37AM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
>>Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:58:37 -0700
>>From: Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
>>To: Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
>>Cc: freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>>Subject: Re: make doc fails
>>
>>Lars Eighner wrote:
>>

>>>That's another thing.  I can't get the handbook to make.  I upgraded
>>>all kinds of text handling ports to get the handbook to make for
>>>4.4, but evidently that is all broken now.
>>>

>>I just cvsuped docs-all, built it and installed it. You probably have
>>some stale dependancies. A lot has changed since 4.4. The requirement
>>for docproj is now
>>

>  ..cut some texts away..
>
>>They need to be current to process the images and etc. I use
>>XFree86-4.2.0 and you probably still have 3.3.6 installed. Version 4.2
>>is now the default and you need to define your version in
>>/etc/make.conf. I use "XFREE86_VERSION=  4", which is now the default.
>>

> am running 4.5-stable and have not yet upgraded to 4.6 ,  only make buildworld
> am using x 3.3.6 and have just finished make install for docs very smooth.
> do we really need to have x version 4 in order to install documents too ?

No, but if you are not using 4.2.0, you will have to tell the port
system that you are using version 3. That is what the
"XFREE86_VERSION=" does for you.

>>If you don't have portupgrade installed, you have to "make index"
>>after every cvsup of ports-all. If you have portupgrade installed, you
>>run "portsdb -uU" to update /usr/port/INDEX and INDEX.db. The INDEX
>>files are not updated as often and the ports are and will have stale
>>dependancies.
>>

> thanks indeed for this new information. i have never done that for every cvsup of ports-all.

It is very important but it is also very slow. I upgrade multiple
machines at the same time and only regenerate INDEX.* on one of them.
I ftp them to the other systems.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart