Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:13:11 +0200
From:      Karel Miklav <karel@lovetemple.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Buying a new laptop

Jeff Rollin wrote:
> I had to double check there as I often confuse ASUS (which I've had
> no experience with) and Acer - but I might as well post about my
> experiences with Acer anyway. Screen failed within a week of the end
> of the warranty period but they would not replace it for love or
> money (well, they probably would have done for money, but
> unfortunately I can't afford to be spending £600 every year when the
>  screen fails out of warranty.)

I had an Acer once. It's plastic housing _completely_ disintegrated
after two years and I had similar experience with other brands. Life
taught me not to believe in support and I don't want to afford it anyway
so now I exclusively buy used subsized Thinkpads with notion that if
something breaks i'll just throw it away and buy another one. No if
so far.

However, I do not recommend Thinkpads because like first you won't
impress chicks and like second you won't be able to get as good game
framerates as your colegues so they'll all make fun of you how you
wasted your money. And in the end you will get very nervous
realizing that no sexier and more aerodynamic models are coming out. In
the search for a rational reason for replacement you'll start
accidentally throwing it on the floor but it fucking won't die so you'll
also make some damage to nearby objects and random bypassers and thus
gain a bad karma.

But well, if you just need it to do your job...