Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 01:23:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, jb@cimlogic.com.au, tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

On Mon, 25 May 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:

> John Polstra said:
> > > BTW, what's you opinion of egcs?
> >
> > It seems to have frequent ups and downs.  We have been using the
> > Feb. 21 snapshot for a fairly large C++ project that I'm involved
> > with, and we haven't had any show-stopper problems.  But I believe
> > some of the other team members tried a later snapshot and ran into all
> > sorts of bugs.
> >
> > One thing I can say is that the template support is immeasurably
> > better than what was in gcc-2.7.2.  I haven't tried gcc-2.8.1, but
> > I've heard that its C++ support is much improved over 2.7.2 as well.
> >
> I have had problems running kernels with the -current egcs code
> for the last few weeks.  I believe that I have been able to build
> and run a kernel based upon earlier egcs snapshots (several months
> old.)

I don't know if it counts as a very persuasive data point, but a real
large port of mine, octave, won't build under egcs (I got an internal
compiler error for which I submitted a bug report).  Gcc-2.8.1 compiled
and ran it fine, which gcc-2.7.2.1 couldn't do (it could compile but not
run it).

Octave makes heavy use of templates, libstdc++, and virtual functions.
Since our kernel hasn't any c++, it probably won't really matter, but I
thought I'd put the data in your hands and let you decide.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).