Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 10:57:56 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        Luke Downey <gnawing_beaver@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New to *nix, having some hiccups :-)

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 08:29:02PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> Luke Downey wrote:
> > 4) I have a Radeon 8500 graphics card.  X doesn't support this yet, but
> > I was wondering if the Rage 128 driver (most current ATI driver listed)
> > would work well enough that I could at least get higher resolution
> > and/or color depth.
>
> Not sure, it'll probably be some poking & hoping.
> I've never come across a vid card that I couldn't get to work in SVGA
> mode. While not great, you can usually get 1024x768 @ 16bpp out of it.

The Radeon 8500 is supported by XFree86 4.2, which I think is in the ports
now.  You'll need to learn how to use cvsup to update your ports (or just
download the packages), and replacing a big package like X can be a bit
hairy, but it *is* a shame to waste such a nice card :-)

CVSup is covered very well in the Handbook, and the archives of this list
and freebsd-stable should provide some hints on how to make an X upgrade go
smoothly.

	Scott