Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:18:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Youse <cyouse@geekbean.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advansys PCI SCSI

I've recently installed a PCI SCSI controller in my box solely for
controlling an old HP T4 tape drive for some backups.  This is a stable
box, last updated Apr 22 as you can see.

The controller itself is not Advansys (it's some el-cheapo PCI controller)
but the chipset is so I can only imagine it's a rebranded item:

FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #2: Mon Apr 22 16:11:42 EDT 2002

adv0: <AdvanSys ASC3030/50 SCSI controller> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xec001000-0xec0010ff irq 10 at device 13.0 on pci0
adv0: Warning EEPROM Checksum mismatch. Using default device parameters
adv0: AdvanSys SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, queue depth 16

sa0 at adv0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
sa0: <HP T4000s 1.08> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 3.300MB/s transfers

The problem that I'm having is that any accesses to the tape drive leave
the process that initiated the I/O stuck in the D state (looking at top).
So, a couple of questions:

1. What's the EEPROM checksum mismatch about?  Anything to worry about?
The controller seems to work properly (to a point) as it can probe the
tape drive.  The driver source seems to indicate that it's not much of a
problem (it just sets the defaults).

2. Once a process has hung, how can I see where in the kernel it's
hanging?  This might help me to track down the problem.

3. Any ideas why this stuff doesn't work?  Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks