Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:01:30 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fernando_Apestegu=EDa?= <fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com>
To:        "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2 burncd and cdrecord problem

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM, b. f.<bf1783@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get my CD drive to work without so much success.
>> Reading is fine, but when I try to burn a CD I get errors in dmesg.
>
>>Using cdrecord -blank=3Dfast dev=3D3,0,0 I get:
>
> First, I hope that you are using sysutils/cdrtools-devel rather than
> sysutils/cdrtools. =A0The latter is several years out of date, and the
> upstream maintainer of the software has said that no one should be
> using it, but the maintainer of the FreeBSD port has so far been
> unwilling to update it.

>>And dmesg shows:
>>acd0: FAILURE - READ_BUFFER ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=3D0x24 ascq=3D0x00
>>acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SELECT_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=3D0x26 ascq=3D0x00
>
> It is not unusual for some errors to appear, even during normal
> operation, so these don't necessarily indicate a problem, although it
> was good that you posted them. =A0You should run the cdrecord command
> with -vv (yes, two v's) to get verbose error messages from cdrecord.
> This should give you a better idea of why cdrecord is failing. =A0If the
> error messages from -vv are not enough, you can also add -VV, although
> this affects the timing of the operations, and should be used with
> care when recording.
>
> I have had problems like this in the past, when a disk was corrupted,
> and cdrecord balked at blanking it. =A0I used blank=3Dall with either the
> -immed flag, or the -force flag, or both, to solve the problems.

Honestly I didn't think this was the problem, but it seems I've had a
bad virgin CD set.
Two of them (of a set of 5) seem to work fine. I can write, rewrite
and blank them.

Aaarrghh! sorry for the noise. Nevertheless, I will try to update to
cdrtools-devel since I have cdrtools installed

Thanks to all of you.